Lesson Plans for teaching estimation, multiplication, division, addition and subtraction using whole numbers for 5th grade students!
In this unit students will move towards fluency when solving problems involving whole number addition, subtraction and multiplication. They will move towards proficiency when solving whole number division problems. Students will use estimation strategies to estimate reasonableness in one and two step problems. Multiplication grows to three digit by two digit factors and division grows to four digit dividends by a two digit divisor. Students should begin to become more familiar with the standard algorithms for multiplication and division.
I have broken down each TEK into Learning Targets to make it easier to track student progress. There are 5 skills in this unit! Each learning target contains intervention and enrichment skills. A student data sheet is included for students to reflect on their own learning for the unit. A teacher tracking sheet is included to make small group instruction easier!
Each day contains:
- Learning Targets
- Whole Class Teaching Activity
- Guided Math Activity
- Closure with an Exit Ticket and answer key for most days
Whole Class teaching in this unit contains:
- Mini Lessons
- Teaching Point
- Active Engagement
- Link to Ongoing Learning
Games and Engagement Activities in this unit include:
- Front-End Estimation and Rounding Word Problem SCOOT 5.3A
- 3 Digit x 2 Digit Word Problem Multiplication SCOOT
- Addition and Subtraction Word Problem SCOOT 5.3K
- All Operations Word Problem Estimation Scavenger Hunt 5.3A
- The Case of the Bad Teacher 5.3C Mystery Challenge
- Estimation with Compatible Numbers SCOOT 5.3A
- Guided Practice Estimation Using Compatible Numbers 5.3A
- Guided Practice 3 Digit x 2 Digit Multiplication 5.3B
- Guided Practice 4 Digit Dividends by 2 Digit Divisors 5.3C
- Guided Practice Addition and Subtraction 5.3K
This unit is designed to print and go! I keep mine in a binder. You can put each day and all of the materials for that day in one sheet protector.
I hope this unit helps you with Guided Math by providing a whole class teach, active engagement, guided math activities and exit tickets for almost everyday- you can’t beat $1.50 per day for a complete unit!
Complete Lesson Plans
TEKS: 5.3A, 5.3B, 5.3C, 5.3K
Estimation, Multiplication, Division, Addition and Subtraction (ALL WHOLE NUMBERS)